Sri Lanka :Compensation paid to Easter Sunday bomb victims
COLOMBO (The Island/ANN ) - Government sources said that reparation could increase, after a final assessment of the loss to life and church property.
Head of Development Communications at Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe’s office, Sudarshana Gunawardana revealed that the Office of Reparations had so far compensated most of the families of those who had died or were injured in the Easter Sunday attacks, up to a total of Rs.262,812,500.
"Rs.198.5 million was paid on behalf of those who died and Rs.64.2 million for the injured", he added.
Government sources said that reparation could increase, after a final assessment of the loss to life and church property.
Two hundred and sixty-three people including 43 foreigners lost their lives and more than 500 people sustained injuries due to the bomb explosions at the St.Anthony’s, St.Sebastian and Zion Churches and Shangri-La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury hotels in Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa, tiggered by the Zaharan Hashim faction of the National Thowheed Jamath.
V. Sivagnanasothy, Secretary to the Ministry of National Policies, Economic Affairs, Resettlement and Rehabilitation, Northern Province Development and Youth Affairs, which comes under the purview of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, said that the Army and Navy had been given an advance of Rs.25 million, to repair and rehabilitate the damaged churches.
The funds were released on an urgent basis after the Cabinet of Minsters approved a memorandum submitted by Wickremesinghe, he noted adding that Rs.10 million had been given to repair St. Anthony’s Church and Rs.10 million and Rs. 5 million, for the St.Sebastian’s and Zion Churches respectively.